Introduction - Products
The Products tab allows you to define the bundle structure and its contents. You can customize the number of steps within your bundle and specify which items you wish to include. You'll also find additional options to fine-tune product behavior based on how customers engage with the bundle.
Steps are essentially the individual pages that make up your bundle. For example, 2 steps = 2 pages.
When creating a new bundle, click Add a step to get started.
Each step can be assigned a name, description, and, of course, products. The number of steps you choose to add is entirely up to you.
- Single-step (or one-page) bundles offer simplicity and ease of use - presenting the entire bundle on one page. This is the most commonly used bundle structure and serves as an excellent starting point if you're new to bundling.
- Multi-step (or multiple-page) bundles are perfect for more complex bundles. By adding multiple steps, you gain extra control over the structure and can tailor the narrative to enhance the bundling experience. However, it also requires a bit of planning. For example, it's important to thoughtfully select the products at each step to maintain customer engagement.
Not sure how to structure a multi-step bundle? Click here to learn more.
Your Step name will appear below your bundle's name on the respective bundle page. This can be something as simple as Create your bundle!
The Step name is optional but can provide clarity to customers. Especially when multiple steps are involved. For example, if building a coffee bundle, you could name your steps:
1. Choose your coffee
2. Select an accessory
3. Add a free gift!
The Description is another optional field that can be used to describe a step. You may wish to use this section to guide customers through the bundling process and set their expectations.
Or, consider using this space to suggest some popular combinations for inspiration. This is a valuable opportunity to infuse some brand personality and keep your customers engaged!
It's time to add your products to your step. When creating a new step, you will see that No products have been added yet.
You have the option to Add products by manually selecting each item.
Discover how to add bundle-exclusive products. Check out our FAQ for step-by-step instructions on hiding products from your store while keeping them active in bundles: Do my products need to be available outside of a bundle?
Or, you can Import products from a collection. This will add every product that features in a collection
Note: Any future changes to the products in the collection will not be carried over to the bundle. For example, if you remove or add items to the collection, the items in your bundle will not change. However, you can manually add or remove individual items at any time.
If a product has variants, all of its variants will be available for purchase within your bundle.
You can choose to include only specific variants of a product in your bundle. By doing this, your variants will display as separate items instead of appearing as dropdown menu options.
To include specific variants:
Step 1: Locate the product that has variants.
Step 2: Click the Add a variant link. A popup window will display the available variants.
Step 3: Check the box next to each variant you want to place inside the bundle.
Step 4: Click Add. Your variants will appear as separate items in your bundle once the bundle has been created/saved. (You can also click X to remove a variant.)
You can set up rules for each step to determine how customers progress through the bundle. For example, you may wish for customers to choose a minimum of 3 products on your first step, and spend a minimum value on the second step.
It's completely up to you how you want to manage each step. By using rules, you can define the:
- Bundle price (before and after discount)
- Total number of products
- Amount of one product
- Number of different products
However, if you want to create rules that apply to the entire bundle, we recommend waiting until you get to the Conditions tab. For more details on how conditions work, see our guide: Conditions.
Improving the display of bundle requirements (optional)
If you have added rules, we suggest that you show the bundle requirements in a modal on your bundle page. This can greatly improve the visual display of your bundle. Come back and complete this extra step after creating the bundle:
Step 1: Go to Bundle Builder's Settings
Step 2: Select Design.
Step 3: Ensure Show bundle requirements in modal is checked.
Step 4: Click Save. A helpful modal will be displayed at the bottom of the screen to guide your customers through to the cart.
Adding required products
Your bundle can contain a combination of optional and required products.
- Optional: Customers have the freedom to either purchase or disregard the item. These are the products you added to your step in the section above.
- Required: Customers are obliged to purchase a specified item that is set by you. Required products cannot be removed from the customer's cart once added.
To add a required product:
Step 1: Click the Add required products button.
Step 2: Check the box next to each item you want to add.
Step 3: Click Add.
Note: Take care not to delete an item that is a required product in a bundle from your Shopify admin. If you delete the required product, your bundle remains visible on the store, but it won't work correctly. Bundle Builder sends an email notification if you delete a bundle item that is a required product.
Optional steps after adding required products
You can further optimize your bundle by taking any of these additional steps:
- Add more required products.
- Add variants of required products.
- Use the plus and minus icons to increase or decrease the minimum required quantity.
- Check/uncheck the Show base price box to display the base price. The base price is the total price of the required product in the bundle minus any fixed discount you have applied.
Conditional logic allows you to hide certain products from the bundle if:
- Any one specific product has been added.
- All of the specified products have been added.
- None of the specified products have been added.
Exclude from app block
The Exclude from app block setting is an exciting new addition to Bundle Builder. By default, each new bundle you set up will display within a Bundle Builder app block - unless you specifically check the box to exclude it.
You can add the Bundle Builder app block, Product Included in Bundles, to your theme's Product template. This block informs customers when a relevant product has a bundled offer and provides a direct link to the bundle for easy navigation.
Example app block:
To learn more, read our guide: Displaying the Product included in bundles app block
You can revisit this page at any time to adjust your bundle's product settings. Once you're satisfied with your product selections, the next step is configuring your pricing and discount settings.
Click here to go to Step 4. Pricing & Discounts